image source https://twitter.com/MissGrandInter
While the rest of the world was busy with Diwali celebrations, pageant fans across all continents were celebrating the festival of extravaganza - Miss Grand International! The name says it all, the powerhouse of production and entertainment celebrated its tenth year anniversary this year and boy was it Grand! From the bloodbath competition to the juicy drama and controversies, Miss Grand served us a feast! Here are the top 10 MGI'22 moments according to fans -
- Miss Ghana's Introduction -
Like every year, the MGI'22 stage too witnessed yet another unique and extremely entertaining beauty astonish the fans with her unexpected introduction. When Zahara-Imani introduced herself as Miss Grand Ghana, she did it by melodiously incorporating the letters G, H, A, N and A in a tune followed by taking her country's name twice, in the same melody. Her unique introduction not only left fans amused but also embedded her name and influence on their minds, making her the talk of the MGI town. Miss Uganda also tried to pull up the unique introduction card during the MGI'22 finale by coming up with a very innovative melody and dance step for her introduction - Miss Grand you… you… UGANDA! However, both failed to make the first cut.
- The Ukraine - Russia Affair -
Pageant fans definitely crave drama from time to time and who better than Mr. Nawat to turn to in extreme cases of Drama deficiencies? When the list of roommates for the 2022 pageant were revealed, all we could do was stare with our jaws dropped down and wonder how they do that so effortlessly. They announced that Ukraine and Russia had to share the same room! That's the recipe for disaster and we know that they knew exactly what they were doing. As a result, Miss Grand Ukraine lashed out at the organisers and requested Mr. Nawat and his Grand team to be more politically sensitive towards her and her country. The situation was handled pretty well by all the other parties involved, and Miss Russia was given a different room.
- Praachi Nagpal's Performance -
Indian fans anticipated her victory right when she announced her participation in Glamanand Supermodel India 2022 and sure enough, she won the title of Miss Grand India, also winning the rights to represent India at the 10th Miss Grand edition. Following her victory, fans had mixed opinions on her potential and preparation, but as MGI'22 commenced, fans were blown away by her form. A few were disappointed at first seeing her average styling during the opening days, but as we approached the main event, her stature became significantly fiercer and fiercer. On the night of the preliminary competition, we were left in awe, admiring her jaw dropping performance, her sultry expressions and her effortless pasarela. It didn't take long for fans to declare her as the strongest Miss Grand India that we have ever had. Praachi sure knows how to turn heads (and Opinions 😉).
- Brazil's Victory - There's nothing more the fans waited for, than to see the golden crown sitting on a Brazilian woman's head. Brazil has been giving us winning contenders since Miss Grand's 2020's edition. With Lala Guedes winning the title of MGI'20 - Fourth runners up, fans expected to see Brazil taking the crown home very soon. Brazil's bet for the 2021 edition was yet another incredibly beautiful and strong candidate - Mineira Lorena Rodriguez who ended up taking the 2nd runner up crown home. After their memorable performance, fans were left craving to see the crown sit on a Miss Brazil's head and Isabella turned their dreams into a reality on 25th October 2022.
- Body Shaming Controversy - Oof! Y'all live for these moments, don't you? Anyway, what caught the whole pageant community off guard were the insensitive comments passed by the pageant director, Mr Nawat himself while explaining why Miss Grand Vietnam failed to make the top 10 of the MGI'22 pageant. Nawat's explanation included several statements that criticised Miss Vietnam's physical attributes like having a long back and short legs. Fans from all over the world were left furious after his comments, deeming his pageant to be too irrelevant and old fashioned.
- The Opening Video - Leave it to MGI to stir up some controversies! During the MGI'22 Finale Live, one of the promotional videos created a lot of buzz in the world of pageants with its lack of diplomacy. The video showed the letters M and U revolving around the earth in opposite directions before coming to a halt right in the centre. Then the letters G and I fell from above, replacing the letter U. Fans depicted this as an attack on the Miss Universe Organization as MGI had recently surpassed MU in terms of social media following.
- The Indonesian Muslim Fashion Week - We love cultures and seeing our favourite queens walk the runway dressed up in the host country's culture is always a treat to the eyes. The class of MGI'22 walked the runway for Jakarta Muslim Fashion Week 2023 held in the Indonesia Convention Exhibition on 21st October. Another very culturally rich event that the Grand Fans were blessed to witness was the Bali Traditional Costume Parade held on 11th October where the ladies were dressed in the traditional Bali attire and presented on stage.
- The Follower Drop - You waited so long for this one! Following the body shaming of the Vietnamese beauty queen Đoàn Thiên Ân, the Vietnamese fans unleashed their wrath onto the Miss Grand Pageant. The MGI Insta page started losing followers in chunks, dropping its following from 6M+ to now 4.1 million. Vietnam also refused to host the next edition of MGI on their land and the Miss Grand pageant was heavily and openly criticised throughout all media channels in Vietnam and other pageant loving countries.
- Sofia Mayers Performance - It wasn't the first time someone did something unique on the grand stage, but Miss Grand UK stepping on the stage without heels during the Grand Finale was still way beyond unexpected. After the announcement of the top 20, the pageant commenced its sportswear round. This round was a replacement for the swimsuit portion of the competition as the event was held in West Java, Indonesia. All 20 ladies were dressed in beautiful pink sportswear sets and high stiletto heels. Well, all except one. Miss United Kingdom stunned the fans when she appeared on the stage, rocking ballet shoes and not heels for this round. Her performance was energetic, fresh and very appealing to the audience too, however, it failed to get her a placement in the top 10.
- 5th Runners Up Resignation - This year, Miss Grand International came up with a very special concept - crowning of all top 10 ladies! While all top 5 ladies were given distinctive positions, the other five ladies were all crowned as the fifth runners up for MGI'22. However, around 48 hours after being crowned the fifth runners up, Miss Grand Mauritius resigned from her position stating that the pageant's ideologies do not match those of the Miss Grand Mauritius Organization's. Several posts were made from both ends, explaining the split but the real reason still remains unknown. Nevertheless, the position has now gone to Miss Grand Philippines, and we are extremely happy for our Filipina Queen Roberta Tamondong and our fellow Pinoy fans.